Why Attachment Defense did not scan a particular file? How does Attachment Defense work?
The Attachment Defense is a part of an overall service structure that scans particular attachment types to help stop threats. See below for information on
Proofpoint Essentials leverages the advanced power of Targeted Attack Protection, Proofpoint’s Industry Leading email analysis solution, to provide small to mid-sized enterprises with Attachment Defense to effectively detect malicious attachments targeting this market.
What is Targeted Attack Protection (TAP)?
Targeted Attack Protection provides advanced protection against attachments and offers the following benefits:
- Proofpoint Essentials leverages our Targeted Attack Protection Technology to provide protection against the most malicious attachments
- Cloud Architecture: Billions of messages traverse the Proofpoint cloud every day, providing global visibility and early protection for emerging threats
- Use of techniques like Dynamic Malware Analysis and Cloud based Sandboxing
- Protection across the corporate network, public network, and mobile devices
- Leverage Big Data techniques to build statistical models to provide predictive analysis
- TAP technology found in Essentials: URL Defense, Attachment Defense and Attachment Defense Sandboxing
Attachment Defense Reputation scanning is included these packages
To enable Attachment Defense
- Under Administration, navigate to Account Management > Features.
- Check Enable Attachment Defense.
- Click on Save.
Attachment Defense Sandboxing
For additional information on what Attachment Defense Sandboxing is, check out our article: What is Attachment Defense Sandboxing.
Attachment Defense Settings: Exceptions/Safe-list
Note: This setting is only available when Attachment Defense Sandboxing is enabled!
To access Attachment Defense settings:
- Under Security Settings -> Malicious Content, click Attachment Defense.
- Adjust your organizations settings as needed (See table below).
- Click Save.
File-Types Scanned By Attachment Defense
Our Attachment Defense service currently scans against these file formats:
contact, csv, dmg, doc, docm, dot, docx, dotm, dotx, hta, htm, html, iqy, mam, mht, odp, pdf, pot, potx, potm,
ppa, ppam, pps, ppsm, ppsx, ppt, pptm, pptx, pub, rtf, slk, swf, txt, vcard, vcf, vcs, xht, xhtml, xla, xlam, xlm, xls, xlsm, xlsb, xlsx, xlt, xltx, xltm, xps, wmv, zip