|Situation||The customer is receiving an error message referring to the amount, speed, or size of undelivered email.|
|Solution||See below to discover why the error occurred and possible resolutions to the problem.|
To ensure the ongoing health of our platform, Proofpoint Essentials imposes limits on:
- The number of messages sent and received
- The number of recipients per message
- The size of a message.
Look at the error messages below to identify your issue and learn ways to avoid these problems in the future.
You have reached a limit for sending mail
- You may see this message if you send more than 500 emails in a 10-minute period or if you send more than 2,500 emails in a single day.
- When you get this error, you should be able to send mails again within 1 to 24 hours.
The user you are trying to contact is receiving mail too quickly
- You may see this error if the recipient has received too much email. Your emails are only momentarily deferred and should be delivered without any additional actions.
Too many recipients
- You may see this message if you send an email to more than 1,000 recipients in a single email.
- When you get this error, you may need to send multiple emails in order to reach all recipients.
Message size exceeds file system imposed limit
- You may see this message if you send an email that exceeds the recipients maximum file size.
- When you get this error, you may need to find an alternate way to share the email contents with the recipient(s).
Emails are being delayed or deferred
- You may see this error when the Essentials recipient has received the maximum allowed emails per minute. If a user is the subject of a large quantity of email being targeted at their address, we will process this over a longer period.
- Keep in mind that inbound limits are as follow:
- For registered accounts is 200 messages in 60 seconds
- For unregistered accounts (SMTP Discovery) in a domain there is a 500 message limit in 60 seconds (at the domain level).