|Situation||In the Proofpoint Essentials User Interface, the status of an email is Delivered, however it has not reached the recipient's mailbox. The recipient of your outbound message has not received it.|
|Solution||Check the Delivery Response from the message Detail view and use the Message ID to trace the message on the downstream mail server|
Detailed Email Log Entry
There are a number of reasons why an email might not have made it to the recipient's mailbox. You can view the Detailed Email Log information by clicking on the Detail option from the UI logs to check the Last Delivery Response. This provides confirmation that the email has been handed off to the downstream mail server.
- From the Logs, search for the message in question (for how to search the logs, see Understanding Email Logs).
- Under Actions, click Detail.
- Scroll down to the section titled Per-Recipient Classification & Delivery Status
- In the field marked Delivery there will be information, including the Last Delivery Response from the downstream mail server, similar to the below extract:
Status: Delivered Summary: This message was successfully passed on to its destination Timestamp : 05:04:07 PDT, Wednesday 08 May 2019 Last delivery response : [188.8.131.52] said: 250 2.6.0 <02f4b098-e4ea-4418-a73d-1b9d7a7be6f1@BY2NAM05FT027.eop-nam05.prod.protection.outlook.com> [InternalId=17557826306613, Hostname=BN8PR12MB3060.namprd12.prod.outlook.com]
The 250 hand-off response confirms that the downstream mail server has accepted the message from Proofpoint Essential's dispatch server. At this point, the message is outside of Proofpoint's control. Before using the Internal ID to trace the email, it is worth checking the recipient's junk folder.
Using the Message ID to trace the Email
This trace is specific to Office 365 and will differ depending on the mail server.
From the Office 365 Exchange Admin Center, the Message ID can be used to perform a Message Trace.
- From the Exchange Admin Center, under Mail Flow click Message Trace.
- Use the fields to narrow down the search criteria.
- In the Message ID field, paste the Message ID provided in the Proofpoint Essentials Detailed Log Information.
- Click Search.
- Use the trace results to confirm the delivery status and check the Message Events for potential hold-ups,